logo-GCA-2017-rev2-130.png GCA
  • Food, Agriculture & Up-Cycle
home1 a

FOOD, AGRICULTURE & WATER

The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) promoted by the United Nations commit the international community to end poverty, protect the planet, and ensure prosperity for all. Food and agriculture are strategic tools for the achievement of the SDGs.
Nevertheless, nowadays natural resources are diminishing, as well as crop genetic diversity (three-quarters of it has been lost since the 1900s), one-third of the land is affected by degradation, and it is estimated that with the current consumption habits by 2025 two-thirds of the population could be living in water-stressed countries. These big challenges are paralled by an increase of the urban population expected to reach 80% of the total population in the near 2050s, with the remaining 20% of rural population responsible for feeding the whole planet.

The agri-food system, from production to consumption, contributes to climate change with 35% of carbon dioxide, methane and nitrogen oxide emissions.Only the meat and dairy-producing industry represents about 15% of total greenhouse gas emissions, making it far more impactful than transport.

 

AGRICULTURE

Schermata_2017-06-14_alle_14.46.48.png

 

Moreover, about one-third of the produced food is lost or wasted, as well as about 38 per cent of the energy used in food systems. In fact, the current economy and the linear use of resources imply significant losses and wastes along the value chain. In Italy, the food waste costs about 12.5 billion euros.

 

GLOBAL FOOD WASTAGE

Schermata_2017-06-14_alle_14.40.25.png

 

This scenario reveals that to ensure food security in the future, it is necessary to develop a sustainable food and agricultural system and a renewed focus on innovation and investment in research, technology and capacity development. Nevertheless, innovation process meets generally some constraints, like the distance between research results and the effective adoption of new practices, technologies and models.

Digital and technological innovation can assist farming in terms of efficiency and sustainability. Smart specialization of farmers is today key for market competitiveness in meeting consumers demands. In this way innovation helps achieve and support ecological intensification of food supply chain. At the same time bio-based economy is growing as result of resources efficiency use and waste recovery.

To meet such global challenges GCA promotes innovation in resources management models in the food and agricultural sector, fostering the development of circular and bio-based economy.
The aim is to lower the impact of food production and consumption, in order to preserve and enhance natural capital and to minimise social, environmental and economic risks.

GCA promotes:
  • Reduction of environmental footprints of the agri-food supply chain
  • Exploitation of new sustainable production systems
  • Integration of Sustainability in supply chain management
  • Inclusion of IoT and IoI devices and technologies in the food supply chain
  • Smart specialization of farmers and agri-food companies in order to optimize resource use efficiency (water, energy, nutrient, waste recycling and upcycling)
  • Bio-based new materials and processes
  • Environmental Remediation
  • Water Management

Contact us for more information.





About Us

Green Capital Alliance (GCA) is the international solutions based platform created in 2015 by Officinae Verdi, the energy investment company founded by UniCredit and the WWF Foundation (Italy). GCA was created to accelerate scalable cleantech and pertinent digital innovations by using sustainable finance, supporting the paradigm shift towards a green | circular economy.

Contact us

Certified_B_Corporation_PENDING-SM.png
Green Capital Alliance
Rome - London
 

logo-ovgroup-2017-rev_cleargrey-128.png